Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

Treatment Options for 18 y o sick cat?

My 18 y o cat has hyperthyroidism and has been in treatment for about 15 m.. She has been showing on and off signs of illness: excessive thirst/urination, hair loss over spine, weight loss, occasional vomiting/diarrhea for about 8 years. 

Vet now found early kidney disease and suspects cancer. Due to extensive food allergies, changing diet isn't likely. Surgery/Radiation are a no go at her advanced age and poor condition. Oral cancer meds only likely to prolong her life from 2-7 months per research. 

So, Im inclined to stop all testing and let her life out her life until I can't keep her comfortable. Downside is I could miss a different diagnosis. Things I've checked like hyperadrenocorticism wouldn't be treatable either. But I could be missing something. She is indoor only. No vaccinations and no exposure to infected cats. What do you think?
 
Update: FYI: She doesn't appear to be suffering at this point. Normal interests, drinking, eating, affectionate, no apparent pain per behavior. Some cats live into their 20's, so I don't want to euthanize her just to euthanize her. I would prefer to treat discomfort as it occurs and look for signs of "it's time" : not drinking, not eating, not moving around, crying in pain, wasting away (getting emaciated).
 
Answer
 
Kitty:
I know this may be difficult to take, but honestly I think the best thing for your cat would be to have her put down. I had to make the tough decision to have my 19 year old cat put down last year, it was the toughest and saddest thing I have been through but I know it was the best decision for my beloved kitty. I know you are trying to prolong her life because you love her, but letting a cat suffer is a horrible thing to do. 
 
Cats are masters at disguising pain, so you can never really tell 100% how your cat really feels. Even though she may seem comfortable, she could be in pain. She's had a long life and I'm sure she would thank you if she could for ending her suffering. 
 
Maybe talk to your vet and see whether they think putting her down would be the best option. Make sure they are not just pushing you to get her treatment for the money, get a second or even third opinion.

I'm sure you will make the right decision for her, you know her best after all. I'm sorry that she's ill, I send my best wishes to you both.
 
Charles:
18 years old and has basically been suffering in one form or another for the last 8.You should care that dog ,because kidney failure at this stage is a nasty way to go. I know you are trying to prolong her life because you love her, but letting a cat suffer is a horrible thing to do.
 
Allen:
18 years old and has basically been suffering in one form or another for the last 8.You should care that dog ,because kidney failure at this stage is a nasty way to go. I know you are trying to prolong her life because you love her, but letting a cat suffer is a horrible thing to do.
 
Kens:
Do you give fluids? Excessive thirst could be crf or more likely diabetes, I am a diabetes expert and can help you with that. You can test for diabetes at home if you have a glucometer. If not you can buy some diastic reagent strips cheaply 

Contact me if you have a glucometer so I can give you instructions or if you find out she has diabetes so I can help as most vets don't know how to treat it correctly
 
 
Tims:
You should not let this cat die. Kidney failure at this stage is a nasty way to go. You have the advantage we have is that we can end your cats life humanely. Don't be selfish and make your cat go through a toxic uraemia death.
 

Popular Posts