Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

I used Axe body wash on my dog?

I used Axe body wash on my dog. He's a Parson Russell Terrier, I've been watching him since I used it two days ago and so far no itching or scratching like he did before we used it. (Yes he has a special oatmeal shampoo, but it made him itchy.)
Was it ok?


Answer

Julie:
You shouldn't really use human body wash on a dog, but since you already did and it hasn't caused any itching thus far, then I guess things are ok this time. I have no idea why your dog was itching after using an oatmeal shampoo other than maybe you didn't rinse him really good after using it, but you did rinse your dog really good after using the Axe. 

All in all, it's still better to use a shampoo that's made for dogs and to rinse the dog all really good. With that said, don't bathe your dog too often either...no more than every six weeks and only if your dog really actually needs a bath.

Carole:
I have had great success with Johnsons and Johnsons Baby Shampoo. It does not contain soap to irritate eyes or leave residue on skin if missed rinsing areas. Also, the smell is very pleasant compared to the actual dog/puppy shampoos I tried. 

Been using this baby shampoo on both cats and dogs I have owned over 40 years. Shampoos such as Axe as perfumes and dyes that may be harmful if swallowed from their licking. Avoid perfumes and dyes.

Markus:
Basically - no. If he doesn't get itchy, fine. However, the perfume/fragrances usually contained in human products aren't good for him, either. They just don't match what a dog is supposed to smell like, especially towards other dogs (and/or cats, depending on who he's living with).

If his shampoo makes him itch, try a different brand of dog shampoo. Or go for a neutral (both in smell abnd pH) human body wash.

That said - our JRT also came (of his own accord!) occasionally with us into the shower and let himself be washed.


Kimberly:
The perfumes in human body wash may irritate your dog. It's good that it hasn't bothered him so far, but you need to try different kind of dog body wash and find one that works for him.
 
Verulam:
Isn't this a deodorant ? If so, I'd suggest it would be totally wrong for a dog, as would any human product really. If he's not reacted to this, you are lucky - just don't use this again. I think you need to know what's causing him to be itchy, probably starting with diet. 

Popular Posts