Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

I just adopted an alpha dog and I don't know if I can handle that kind of personality?

I just adopted a 3 year old male dachshund from another home. They had to give him away because they didn't have enough time for him. Anyways, they already said he was defensive with his food and can be anxious. We are three days into having him in our home and we have definitely seen his anxious and defensive sides. I have been bitten twice, drawing blood. 

Though they were probably my fault, it is scary that he will actually bite and not just mouth. Anyways, we can see he definitely has an alpha dog personality and myself, as this being the first dog that I have owned and shows my anxiety very easily, it has made it difficult. Since the second bite I have been even more anxious around him as it has startled me and he knows it. 

We plan on possibly taking him to obedience school to try to change these things about him, however, I am just having doubts that I can handle his personality He often barks and growls and shows his teeth at me and never my mom. I just need some words of advice as I have been anxious this whole time.

 
Update: He is well trained for the most part.. very smart dog. He is crate trained and knows some commands. I got him from rescueme.com and I have been in contact with his previous owners. It just scares me how easy it is to piss him off. then he will start growling and showing his teeth.
 
Answer
 
Sara:
It sounds like this dog should not have been adopted out yet. This is more than simply being an alpha, these are dangerous behavior problems and the shelter you got him from would be held responsible should anything happen. Did they do any kind of temperament testing on him? I'd pay them a visit and tell them the dog has bitten you and see what they recommend. They will probably direct you to a trainer if you wish to do that.
 
Kent:
Do you know the dog's other owners well, or did you find him posted online on a site like Craigslist?
"Not having enough time" for a dog is often a euphemism for "his behavior is out of control".
Dogs being given away have sometimes had a long time to develop bad habits!
 
 
Explain to the trainer that you want help learning how to interact with the dog appropriately to reduce aggressive and anxious behaviors. She/he can help you learn how body language, tone, eye contact, etc. play a role in your communication with the dog.

Follow that up with obedience classes to continue to strengthen your relationship.

If you aren't able to do this, it would probably be best to return the dog to the other owner, letting them know as soon as possible that it isn't working out. Aggressive behavior can quickly escalate, and should be taken seriously, regardless of the size of the dog.
 
Nobby:
He's not being defensive or anxious from the sounds of it, he is a spoiled brat and is resource guarding.
Dont have anything to do with him, your Mum has to return him. the previous owners were dishonest. They did not warn your that he bites and that is illegal. Its like selling a car when you know the brakes dont work.
Report them to the homing website as well.
 
 
 
Paul:
WOW you have a dog and have no idea how to care for it ...... research research research ....research the breed.... research how to feed ..... do research on health care , lots to read there, stay on top of your pups health care .... research potty training , potty training is YOUR job not the dogs ....... get a snack , something to drink , sit down and start reading ......not going to do it for you 

Popular Posts