Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

My dog is aggressive and bit need answer ASAP!?

Hi! I own a 4yr old male shih tzu. He is not neutered. Generally he is a good dog but he tends to show slight aggression towards me and my family. We have always been good to him and love him very much. He always barks every time the door bell rings. He growls at people and dogs while he is taken on a walk in the park. 

Tonight my mother and I were lying in bed chatting and he was comfortably lying beside us. My dad walked in and joined us and sat on my bed. The dog growled at him so he called the dog over and petted it and then the dog snapped at my dad and bit through his nose there was a lot of blood. This is not the first time the dog has growled when lying in bed and another person tries to get into the bed. I have to say I was shocked that my little dog was capable of such damage. 

I m scared and don t know what to do I want to help my dog stop being so aggressive. Would it be a good idea to get him neutured? I feel like I ve failed at being a good dog owner. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Answer

Kate:
Honestly, the best choice is indeed to neuter him. In his case, he is kind of like a bull before it is castrated and becomes a steer, meaning that if you neuter him, he will be much less aggressive and will be more friendly. Another case is maybe he is just overprotective.

P.S. You haven't failed at dog ownership, Lol! This also happened to me with my own dog when he was younger. The only difference is that my dog is 7 ( human years ) old now and he is a labradoodle ( A much bigger dog than a shih tzu ). Good luck to you and your dog!


Dobiegal:

neutering will not stop aggression. Sadly, I would humanely euth this dog. Face bites are intentional and personal. Not an accident. Sorry my opinion and what I would do.
 
Linda:
Yes, neutering him will help. I'm sorry about your dad's nose. I have a Shih Tzu too, she has never even nipped at anyone. She is so gentle. 

Popular Posts