Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

Will my cat forget me?

In a year, I would like to go overseas to an exchange program. It can last from one to two years. I think I am leaning towards only staying one year. 

However, we recently adopted a new kitten. He is so sweet, he's loving and gentle and he sleeps in my bed every night, curled up against me. He is sleeping under my arm as a write this. I am scared he will forget me. I love him so so much but he will only be a year old then, and I'm afraid it is too long. 

My mom, sister and I are already going overseas the whole summer to travel Europe. And my dad will be at work all day. That is a long time for Indy (my kitten) to be alone. We do have to dogs (but they are outside the whole day and sleep with my dad at night) and another cat but she is extremely aggressive toward my kitten and is being kept in a three tier crate until the two of them get used to each other. 

My other cat is so aggressive however, that she attacks even us - and the vet won't even examine her. I obviously don't have the authority to cancel my vacation plans but I don't feel comfortable leaving Indy. Much less for a year. We are really close right now, but will that last? Please give me advice on how to keep our bond.

Answer

Beverly:
I don't really know, but when you get back from Europe you and Indy will have many years together. Indy is lucky to have someone who cares as much as you, and she will be fine. 

Genny:
I suggest that you bring your beloved kitty to a trusted friend or relative that has the time to care for them. Make sure that they are TRUSTED and won't get to attached. As for the cat itself, the cat won't forget you. If your cat naturally has a loving personality, once you get back your cat won't take TOO long to warm up to you again. 

Now don't be surprised if your cat becomes attached to their caretaker and is upset to leave their house; it's completely natural, and your cat will eventually become the cat you were used to. Besides, animals who are fostered have that done all the time: they are fostered with the person they think is their owner for years, then suddenly they are taken away to their actual owners. 

And they do just fine! So all in all, don't stress about this. Just put your cat in good hands and everything will work out.

Ocimom:
When you get a pet, you should not be "abandoning" the kitten right away. I suggest you rehome this kitten NOW because your family will not have time to really care and raise the kitten for the next year or so. When your family is done with traveling/school, then adopt.

Not fair to have a kitten now and then in a few months - everyone more/less is gone and the poor kitten is alone.


Eli:
I bonded with a cat that belonged to my next door neighbour. The cat would scream when I walked past his house, and would wait outside my back door when I came downstairs at night to go to the bathroom. 

Then my neighbour moved away, and leased her house to someone else. One day I heard a cat screaming, and looked over my fence. The cat was back! The leasee was looking after it. One night I woke up to go to the bathroom, and I found him waiting outside my back door. 

Cats don't forget whom they bond with. It sounds to me you have already bonded with Indy, so he won't forget you.

Anthony:
dont listen to the person below i dont feel your cat will forget you but the least you can do is let a friend or family member take him for awhile i do feel its a little mean to leave the poor thing alone for a long time so i would have someone take care of him for awhile my friend is in africa for 2 years and his dog is with his aunt but dont rehome him thats the stupidest thing ive heard in awhile

Popular Posts