Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

Can people with cat allergies still have a cat?

So my sister just found out she is allergic to cats, she s 19 but has dealt with cats all of her life, but it s starting to affect her now which is weird. We have had our cat for over a year but since now that she has allergies she wants to get rid of her, which I don t want. Is there anyone who has went through the same thing? Is it still possible to have a cat even though my sister has allergies? And what can be done to reduce allergens if we keep her?
 
Answer
 
Garbo:
The allergen in cats is actually their saliva, not their fur. As they 'bathe' themselves, they cover the fur with their saliva. I had severe cat allergies all my life, often exhibiting asthma like symptoms simply walking into a house where cats lived. 
 
When my wife and I got married, she had three cats and was very attached to them. So, I decided just to deal with my allergy issue and we kept the cats. Over time, my allergic reaction has dissipated to the point that it is no longer an issue.
 
ShadoePaw:
My cousin is allergic and just deals with it because his Fiance wanted a cat.
I have allergies to only one cat, a domestic shorthair tabby but i'm not allergic to my cat or any other cat i've met.
Tell her to take some antihistamines or something.
 
 
Samantha:
Most people allergic to cats are allergic to the hair. There are some breeds of cats with minimum shedding. Hairless cats are also an option.
 

Popular Posts