Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

Cat allergies help?

I have some pretty bad cat allergies, bad thing is, is that I adore them. I d love to be able to own a cat one day, but with the allergies I can t. When I m in a room that a cat has been in, normally it gets harder to breath and I go into a violent sneezing fit. If I touch a cat, and I rub my eyes, my eyes will swell shut... I m just wondering if there s anything I can do to get rid of the allergies.
 
 
Answer
 
Meg:
My sister gets allergy injections because she developed a serious allergy to her cat after having her for over a year. At first they made very little difference, but with persistence after a few months she was able to comfortably live and interact with her cat again.

I have a mild allergy and i own 2 cats. However my allergy is mild and only really presents itself when my other allergies do. Besides that i just get a rash and itchy if they bite/scratch me.
 
Katy:
There are several ways you can decrease your allergic reaction to cats. Have a look at allergy shots, I've heard that they are painful but can really stop your allergic reaction to cats. There is medication as well that you can get from the drugstore/pharmacy to help decrease your allergic reactions but that could make you feel weak and drowsy. Also have a look into getting a cat which do not for most people trigger considerable or any allergic reactions. There are cat breeds like Sphynx, Siamese, Burmese, Bengal etc which are better for people with allergies. 
 
James:
There are allergy pills that lessen the severity of allergy attacks, although no way to permanently get rid of it to my knowledge. There are hypoallergenic cat breeds, however they re expensive. There are a lot of websites that can give tips on how to live with cat allergies

Jason:
Allergens can come from your cat dander (dead skin), their salivary glands, and even their urine. Breathing in pet dander or coming into contact with allergens from the salivary glands or urine can cause an allergic reaction. 
 
Cat dander particles are the smallest of major allergens. At 2.5 to 10 micrometers, they’re smaller than dust mites and dog dander. Cat dander is also small enough to become airborne and settle on walls, carpet, upholstery, clothing, and enter a person's lungs. 
 
These allergens can linger in your home, causing your symptoms months after the animal is gone. There are a lot of websites that can give tips on how to live with cat allergies.
 
Charles:
There are several ways you can decrease your allergic reaction to cats.There is medication as well that you can get from the pharmacy and that are painful but can really stop your allergic reaction to cats.There are a lot of websites that can give tips on how to live with cat allergies.
 
Gravy:
No - but there ARE hypoallergenic cats you can buy.

My mom was terribly allergic as well. She has a hypoallergenic cat. To test, before you ever get the cat, they have you send a pilloow cover. They put the cover in the kennel with the cat for several days, then mail if back. She slept on it for a week without the tiniest hint of allergy (and she has them bad - I have cats, and she can only be in my house for a couple hours, without touching any cats even, before she starts reacting to them.

Her cat is a Siberian. (I think they don't create dander which is what causes cat allergies...not the fur itself)
 
 
Ocimom:
You can try strong allergy meds from your doctor, but if you are reacting that bad, I doubt you will be able to have any cats - not even the hairless kind.
 

Popular Posts