Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

Do sweets hurt dogs?

My son got into the cake and knocked it down and ran off and hid (lol joys of motherhood) . The dog of course was more than willing to help clean up the evidence. It was a pretty large piece. And by the time I got there it was nearly gone. Will he just vomit it up or does this call for a vet trip?
 
Update: It wasn't chocolate, just pineapple cake with no icing or coating.
 
Answer
 
Lakelady:
He'll be fine. At some point my Macaw learned to open the refrigerator from the top and would open it for the dogs and even throw stuff out to them. My wolfhound ate 18 fresh cream puffs dusted with powdered sugar. Didn't leave so much as a flake of sugar on the floor either. He ate a full meal after that.
 
Nobby:
He'll most likely be fine, pineapple is safe for dogs. The only potential problem is if it has butter icing and he is very little, or prone to pancreatitis, which is triggered by fat.

Having said that one of my little darlings learned how to open the fridge. I dont know which one it was, but I found the toddler with a pound block of ham in one hand and a gnawed cucumber in the other. And there was no eggs, butter, milk or cheese.

I blame the cat.
 
 
 
Bette:
call vet
was it chocalate or hesvy in sugar? wt of dog vs size of cake
is of importance.
 

Popular Posts