Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

Dog breed that looks similar to the beagle?

My therapist, psychiatrist, and doctor, recommended a service dog for me almost two years ago. I don't really need anyone sharing to me that "Service dogs are only for physical disabilities" I already understand that a lot of people have that opinion, but the reality is, is that they help people with mental/psychological problems just as well.

Okay, now to the good stuff.

My mom is extremely picky about what dog is allowed into our life. It is all about looks for her (I have tried convincing her otherwise). The problem is, is that all of the dogs she thinks are cute, are all very hard to train, noisy, and, most of all, tiny. I feel that if I have a small dog, people wont take me seriously and maybe think that I just want to drag a dog around with me. I want to compromise with her, but if I don't, I don't think she will want to get one to help me.



Answer

Trench:
A beagle for a service dog would be a pain to train. They are scent driven and can be a tad noisy (some, not all). Picking out a service dog is more than picking out a breed you like. You need to find a dog that has the right temperament. I suggest going trough a service dog organization if you don't want/can't do that contact breeders that have older pups available (6/8 months old) that way you get to see more of their adult personality instead of their puppy personality. I would highly suggest looking at Goldens or labs.

Also, for service animals, to be considered a service animal they must be able to perform two trained task. If they can't do that they legally aren't service animals.


Sheila:
Founder/Owner of Gargoyles Animal Rescue and trainer of Service Dogs, Therapy Dogs, and I also have an Emotional Support Animal (cat). So many of the answers given here are incorrect, you really need to study up on your own as well as considering the advice of people on the internet. I can tell you just about anything you need to know about training and registering a service animal. 

An Emotional Support Animal can be just about any type of animal from a mini horse to a pig, to a ferret - you name it - so long as it won't cause a disturbance or danger when out and about with you. I traveled with my ESA cat cross country a couple of years back (flying), I have a prescription for her from my doctor. You don't get charged for the animal's flight if you have a script from your doctor (mental or physical).

Anyone can train a Service or Therapy animal, the Service Dog will have to pass a test with a certified trainer, as these animals are expected to behave themselves in many different situations. A Therapy Animal doesn't have to be certified but must behave itself in public.

Any breed of dog that helps you have a better life should be the main criteria for a Service Dog - not how it looks (breed wise), it is my experience that medium to larger size dogs work best and German Shepherd, American Pit, Golden Retriever, Lab, and the absolute best are mutts - not joking. Adopting from a rescue or no kill shelter is where you can not only find a fantastic friend but help a furry paw find a home. Rescue dogs also seem to be a bit more grateful to have a second chance.

Dogs used for hunting generally are not easy to train for service work. Good luck to you!
 


Charles:
A beagle for a service dog would be a pain to train.You need to find a dog that has the right temperament. I suggest going trough a service dog organization. A service dog is a dog which does perform a service for you, if that service dog does not perform any trained task. If they can't do that they legally aren't service animals.

Allen:
A beagle for a service dog would be a pain to train.You need to find a dog that has the right temperament. I suggest going trough a service dog organization. A service dog is a dog which does perform a service for you, if that service dog does not perform any trained task. If they can't do that they legally aren't service animals.

Verulam:
If you are thinking about using a hound as a Service Dog, think on. Not that they can't be trained, but there are easier breeds outside the Hound Group.

Provided you can find a sensible breeder, perhaps something like one of the Spaniels might be a better idea although then you'd have a coat to deal with. But I'm concerned about all this Service Dog thing - to have a proper Service Dog, it has to be professionally trained to be one, and then paired with the right handler.
 


Ocimom:
You don't want a Beagle or any type of hound. They are hard to housebreak and train. All you really want is a pet dog. You won't be allowed to be taking your dog anywhere you want. A service dog is one that helps people do things they cannot do themselves (blind, deaf, etc.).

For emotional support dogs its different and you can't take them any where you go
 


Nobby:
Dogs dont help people with mental or psychological problems. Its a myth.

Years ago, psychiatrists and counsellors discounted a patients relationship with any animal.
Recently they accepted that sometimes that relationship can be beneficial, as can human relationships.
Dogs are not a cure all. No one would tell you to go and get a new dog for mental health problems.

Training a dog and caring for it every day can be very stressful. If you want a dog, just get one. But dont expect it to be any different from anything else in life, a mixture pf stress and fun.
 

Popular Posts