Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

Why were some people so condescending & rude to me when I got a 2nd dog?

A few years ago, I had an opportunity to own my dream dog - a Border collie. A young purebred one was up for adoption at the local shelter. I adopted him, and was so happy and excited to finally own one after 40 years of wanting one.

But when I told people about him, a lot of them said things like, "What did you adopt him for? You already have a dog. You don't need a second." or "Border collies are way too hyper. You'll never be able to handle him". I was upset when they said these things of course.

But I trained Bruce really well, and have been taking excellent care of him. He'll be 5 in March and is one of the happiest and most content dogs I've ever known. I'm just wondering why people were so negative? And for those of you who own multiple dogs, did this happen to you as well?


Answer

Crimson:
Possible jealousy, who knows. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy your dog.

Cody:
I personally adopted two puppies at one time (well, within a month of each other). Alot of people advise against this, but for me it was the right decision. A year later, these guys keep each other more entertained than I could dream of doing.
 
My finance and I, along with the dogs of course, make a wonderful pack for them and it is a very loving happy environment for the dogs. I see no issue with having two dogs, and in my case, I only gained positives. Besides the usual house breaking issues, and electronics being destroyed by teething pups :)

Allen:
Do not get upset you, some people don't understand it. I'm sure both your dogs are happy to have one another and it was a good choice by the sounds of it. Other peoples opinions are fine, don't get that is wrong,but it is giving you to up and to decide when those opinions step over the line.

Knight:
Life doesn't get any easier, hopefully you'll get stronger, if this bothers you so much, and you can't move on then perhaps you need to seek professional help for yourself.

Just let it go and move on as I'm sure you'll come across many more in your lifetime and some a lot worse than the ones you've run into now.
 


Lakelady:
I've always been pretty oblivious to people being mean to me. My kids actually tease me about it. But it sounds to me as if the people who gave you a hard time were jealous. It's very rare to find your dream dog in a shelter. I'm very happy for you. We live rurally and have 5 house dogs plus a guest rescued dog. Everyone out here has multiple dogs so it would be very odd for anyone to say anything. Besides, as I mentioned, I probably wouldn't notice it if they did.

Aleshia:
Don't let it upset you, some people just don't understand. I'm sure both your dogs are happy to have one another and it was a good choice by the sounds of it. I did own 2 dogs (My old dog passed away last Jan) and had the same thing, "You don't need 2 dogs, They are just a hassle, Your big one is going to be to hyper, ect, ect" It's what makes you happy not them

Justus:
I have two dogs and I did get some negative people like that when I first bought my second dog. Those people are obviously narrow-minded like Belgian Nut said. I think that as long as you are properly training and caring for your animals it shouldn't be a problem.

Ocimom:
Obviously you have worked with your dog. Many people make the mistake of getting certain breeds they should never own. Borders ARE very active dogs and need hours of exercise every day. So if you are providing this, congratulations.
 

Popular Posts