Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

What's better, getting a puppy before you get pregnant or after?

What's better, getting a puppy before you get pregnant or after?


Answer

Choko:
Better in what way? It's going to be easier on the mother if you get the puppy beforehand, so that by the time the baby arrives, the puppy is adjusted and trained. Training a puppy while caring for a newborn is really, REALLY hard. If you're worrying about the way the puppy treats the newborn human, obviously getting the puppy afterwards is easier on the puppy because you're not introducing something new into it's life.  

Julie:
Honestly, I don't think that anyone on this site can answer this with any accuracy, because you are a stranger to us. We don't know you at all. I can only tell you MY experience. My Husband and I had two dogs when I got pregnant with my first child, and he was born 3 1/2 years after we were married. Both of our dogs at that time were adults and trained. The next time a PUPPY came into our lives was when our youngest Son was 3 and the other was a little over 6 years old. I was also a stay at home housewife and Mom.

Again, I don't know you, so therefore I can't make a recommendation. For that matter, even if you plan on having a baby in the future, that doesn't mean that you will actually get pregnant. My Husband and I had a very difficult time conceiving, and when I found out I was pregnant with my first Son, I was in total shock but extremely grateful and blessed.

Nobody can predict the future.
 


Lakelady:
Well, I've done it both ways but I think it is better for you to get it after because that way when the puppy comes the baby is moving into the baby's territory and not the other way around. But you will need your partner to help, because you won't want to take the puppy out when you are up with the baby.
EDIT I now have seen all the people who say get the puppy a few YEARS before or that you won't have time for both. They must not understand how this works. You will have time whichever way you do it.


Mike:
Training a puppy while caring for a newborn is really, really hard. So I think it is better to get the puppy after pregnancy. The cutest thing in the world is a baby and a puppy, same age and all that. Those pictures you take will make beautiful memories of your baby and your dog.

Alejandra:
Honestly, the cutest thing in the world is a baby and a puppy, same age and all that. Those pictures you take will make beautiful memories of your baby and your dog. Raising a baby while you have a puppy the same age will increase your baby's imagination and creativity. They will be bestfriends and you will feel so good about them too! I hope this helps, and i have a 2 year old and he grew with a golden retriever, its a mans bestfriend! Again, hope this helps!!

Wry:
You don't get a dog while your pregnant. You get a dog a few years before you planning to have kids OR you get a dog when your children are trained and taught how to behave around animals.

You will not have time for a dog after you have the baby.


Bluebonnet:
Get the puppy a few yrs before you get pregnant. Dog should be fully trained by then. Lots of work training a puppy/dog & lots of work caring for a baby. You wouldn't want two babies at once with separate needs. It would lead to neglect for one of them. 

Popular Posts