Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

Landlord found out we have a cat, we have to give her away :'( ?

Ask: I'm 17 and my parents got a letter in the mail saying that when the maintenance team came in to change the batteries in the smoke detectors, they saw our cat. She's only 5 months old and we've had her for pretty much her whole life. We had another cat before her but she passed away. I understand there's nothing we can do and my parents have to give her away but I'm very sad. She's like my only friend, and I'm going to miss her dearly. I don't know why I'm writing this, I guess I need some advice. Has anyone ever been in this situation? How did you cope with giving your pet away?
 
Update 1: I just turned 17 a few months ago, sadly I won't be 18 for a while
 
Update 2: Thank you for your answers, I appreciate it, but my parents already decided they're going to get rid of the cat, and there's no way they'd let me move in with a relative so I can keep her but I wish I could. The cat was my mom's idea. My dad and I didnt want another cat, but she got one anyways and now this is happening :(
 
Update 3: We actually talked to our family about this, and one of my uncles said that one of his close friends that he works with has been looking for a cat. I told My mom we should just give the cat to her, but she said no because she "doesn't want to know where the cats going" So we're giving the cat back to the pet shop we bought her from, luckily they would take her back, but I wish my mom would have just given it to my uncles friend so we can still see her
 
Answer
 
Nessa:
I understand where everyone is coming from in the *no pets* policy. BUT some landlords are shady and change the rules without notice. This is nobody's fault.
In some cases.. honesty is NOT the best policy. Especially when it comes to family members. 
 
Sometimes Landlords change the rules! I've had some that say dogs are fine then change their mind, even though it's in a contract I would have to take them to court... not worth it. Tell them what they want to hear! The cat is *cough cough* gone. Just do not let ANYONE unsupervised and uninvited into your home!!!! You do not *have* to give her away. 
 
You always always have a choice in life. You can choose to keep her... or you can choose to move to an area that is cat-friendly. This is not something that is chosen for you. This a choice you are making when you decide to give up your cat.
 
Ard:
I had to give my cat away, too. Man, did it break my heart! I know the pain you're feeling, but I found the best way to cope is to make sure she's going to a good home. If you can, sit down and talk with your mom about who she'll go to. 
 
Don't let her go to just anyone. If you can, try to find a trusted friend/family member. If you do this you'll know 1) she has a good home and will be treated correctly and 2) you can visit her! But, I wish you luck. I know it's hard parting with an animal you've grown onto :(
 
Anonymous:
Well your parents have caused this situation and you and the cat will now suffer because of it. Its horrible for an animal and people to become bonded and then have to stop that but if you rent someone that says NO PETS, you have lied and so have to forfeit.

When are you 18? You could move out to somewhere that allows cats and take her with you if its possible. 

Your family could move to somewhere where pets are allowed.
You could see if any close friends or family would take her permanently of temporary until you find somehwere else to live. 

Failing that you will have to rehome her, please use a professional rehoming place and don't just advertise her on craigslist or gumtree, there are a lot of bad people out there who have been taking cats and using them AS BAIT, do you want this to happen to the kitten? hopefully not.

If that is the only possibility, possibly check the homes that want to take her, pick the best one with the most knowledgable person so you can rest in the fact that she is well looked after and will not be rehomed a second or third time.
 
 
Lucius:
I do not know under which legislation you live, but here in Germany the landlord cannot prevent you from keeping a cat or any other animal (hamster, rat, bird) that doesn't molest your neighbors. No mater what's in the renting contract.

> no way they'd let me move in with a relative so I can keep her

But maybe THEY can keep her and you can visit her? Might be a solution. For the cat at least.

> the maintenance team came in to change the batteries in the smoke detectors,

What kind of technicaly unsavvy parents do you have to not send the team away and either say, "oh, the batteries are just fine" or "no, I'll change them myself"? Changing batteries in a smoke detector is no more complicated than changing batteries in a tv remote.
 
 
Lori:
I have the same problem. The tenant upstairs has a cat and wanted me to take it at one time, but I wanted my own. My landlord came over and I proudly showed her my kitty and she told me that I can't have a cat! She called me 3 weeks later (2 days before Christmas) and asked me if I still had the cat. I told her yes and she said that I just gave my 30 day notice!! I will be moving! 
 
Ian:
This isn't an answer to your question in giving it away but more of a solution if you want it...I'm
Allowed 2 dogs. I have 3 dogs and 2 cats! They have to give 24 hours notice before you HAVE to let them in.
 
So use that. Refuse to let them in and then send your pet off to an animal daycare. Or I put mine in a cat box and send my Mam out with them along with the third dog and they come in and see my 2 dogs I'm allowed to have and nothing more. Problem somewhat solved! Don't let ANYONE in without hiding your cat. It's worked for me for over a year. 
 
Yrco:
Occasionally, contract agreements with the landlord, or lord as they sometimes like to call it, have many loopholes in them. It's pretty ez to get around minor technicalities like this if you continue to pay your rent on time, which is most likely the responsibility of your parents.

Although, some people are allergic to cats if you can prove to be a suitable domesticator of the feline then if it's kept in your vicinity and doesn't harm anyone then there's no reason why you can't convince your LL, or apt manager, to change their stubborn mind.
 
 
Emily:
If you have a friend who could temporarily let kitty stay with them until you're able to get a pet friendly place of your own? Then you could even visit and continue to have your cat. It breaks my heart when these things happen. 
 
My own 3 cats have been an issue more than once, I know how stressful and sad it is. I abruptly moved out of one place when my roommate hated cats and started threatening them. I lived in a motel for awhile, just to keep my cats. And my current apartment charged me $300 in pet deposits. 
 
It was all worth it though. You'll find the best thing for your cat... I wish you and kitty the best xoxox 

Popular Posts