Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

Kitten doesn't knead or mark objects?




He is a healthy 3,1kg half Maine coon, half european shorthair cat.
When I picked him up he was 9 weeks old and his mother (Grey Maine Coon) was there as well.
They were both very welcoming and starting purring and marking my legs right away.

He is super cute, always follows me around, loves to play and having all the attention. He always sleeps on me, beside me or near me. I have never seen him scared, angry, hiss or lash out.
He is not shy and always curious of everything, he likes everybody he sees for the first time (even the vet!)

I feed him with portion controle; dry food (Royal Canin Kitten) for morning, lunch and before going to bed and one small can of wet food (Almo Nature) at dinertime.
He does not go out yet. We're planning to let him explore outside when he's castrated. (It's not hard to keep him inside since he doesn't dare to go out yet, he likes to look outside though).
So overal he is very happy.

BUT why is there no kneading?
I've never seen him knead on anything (or me) at all!
I'm a experienced cat owner but I never experienced a cat not kneading.
I have lots of soft pillows, fleece blankets, he likes those but he doesnt knead on it..

Also:
He doesn't mark objects, I've never seen him marking something.
He rarely marks humans either, only when he's in a cuddle mood.

Does somebody have an idea why he might not mark and knead? Thanks!



Answer

Baggallini:
Why do you WANT him to mark things? Once that starts it's often hard to stop especially when you're waiting WAY too long to alter him. You could have altered him as soon as you got him.

LOL that you think he's "Half Maine Coon and half European Shorthair". No, he isn't. You were lied to. Less than 3% of cats are ANY breed and kittens are most often sold ALTERED. You have a no breed domestic just like the other 97% of cats.

Shame on you for supporting a backyard breeder. You could have adopted a kitten just like this for around $100 with everything already done. Have you bothered to get this kitten its shots? Disease tested? Chipped? Have another couple hundred for neutering?

FYI - Royal Canin is CRAP food made mostly of rice and corn and with no real meat.

edit: just looked at the pic LOL!!!!! that you think either breed is in this cat! It is so clearly just a run of the mill domestic shorthair. Coat is Red Classic Tabby and White. Hope you weren't ripped off too much?


Sophia:
My one female didn't start kneading until we got a new kitten, she was 11 when we got him! I never saw it before, it's strange but I guesse it's their preference.

Anonymous:

He doesn't want to, nor have to. He may not be in the mood. My cat rarely did it.

Popular Posts