Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

Is this a cute idea or just downright terrible for a speech for my class?

I'm doing a speech about Animal Therapy. My professor encouraged us to make it memorable and interesting. Well I have decided that I may bring my cat on a leash and have him stand by me while I present my speech. He's not there just to look handsome, this cat actually helps me cope with my mental illness. 

I thought it would be a good idea to bring him because he is relevant to this topic. I'm just a bit worried that people will see me as "that crazy chick who brought her cat to class once." As for my cat, he loves strangers so he won't be scared of a large number of people he doesn't know. If he did have an issue with crowds and strange people I wouldn't take him.

Answer

Caligula:
Depending on where you live, there's a good chance the cat would not be allowed. Odds are that you have a right to have the cat wherever you live, but federal law only requires that service animals be permitted (just about) everywhere that the handler may go, and I believe American federal law only allows for dogs to be service animals. If your cat is a service animal under state law, then you'd probably only need to register him with the disability access people, and if you're somewhere other than the U.S. I don't know what the rules are.

Sounds like an interesting presentation. I wish I could hear it.


Ocimom:
You would need advance permission from the principal and teacher of your class and find out if anyone in your class is allergic. If so, then you cannot bring the cat to school.

As long as you get permission ahead of time it can be done. I took one of my show cats to my son's 2nd grade class to talk about pet ownership and what kids should do in regards to caring for animals. My cat loved kids; was quiet in the room and the kids had a ball - they wanted to pet Spooky all the time.

It was only a 10 min presentation and then the cat was taken out. So if you are allowed, then you will need to make arrangements to have someone take the cat home after your speech. The cat cannot remain in school all day.
 


Lana:
I think it's a cute and good idea as well. Just make sure your cat is okay
and is treated well by all the students. Those kids who don't like cats
will just have to GET OVER THEMSELVES for a couple of hours. I
hope your speech goes really well.
 


Meow:
You CAN'T bring your cat to school. Pets aren't allowed and other children could be highly allergic to it.

You don't "need" this cat with you. You go to school every day so such BS you need it there for your "mental illness". Leave it at home where it belongs.

FYI if you're doing a speech about Animal Therapy the first thing you should have learned is therapy animals are tested and REGISTERED with a professional organization such as Therapy Dogs International which my dog is a part of. Most DON'T register cats.
 


Louis:

I think it's a great idea as long as your cat has been around many people at once before and your 100% sure that he won't act up, at all!! And make sure it is okay with your teacher!
 

Popular Posts