Get the latest news and articles about animals from around the world.

Is coconut oil good for cats??

I use coconut oil on my tattoos. My cat will try to stick his head in the jar or he'll try to lick it off my arm. He has consumed small amounts of it and I was curious to know if it has any negative impacts for cats. 
 
 
Answer
 
Jack:
No it's not. It isn't the type of oil that Nature intended for cats to consume. Read the link that Michele has posted, and there are others. The only links that have good things to say about coconut oil and cats are the ones that stand to profit from it's sale. Cats need the oils found in meat and salmon, not from coconut. It's not the fabulous cure all that it's touted to be, and is not suitable for cats, nor dogs.
 
Anonymous:
No negative impact (other than extra calories) but I don't know how much benefit it has. My cats also love the stuff for some reason. A little bit as a treat is fine.
 
Mamma Cat:
My vet says yes. a little. The amount your cat is consuming is perfect. His fur should get softer after a couple of days consumption.
 
TomTom:
Yes it is great for them! It makes them live longer and is healthy for their skin! (no lie)
 
 

Popular Posts